Friday, November 14, 2008

Estoy Aprendiendo Mucho!!!!!!!! (I am learning A LOT)

For the past couple weeks we have been remodeling on of our Casa Hogars girls bathrooms. As you can see it is a very messy job. Lots of not so fun smells, lots of tearing the old pipes out and replacing them with new ones, lots of plugging our noses, and lots of chipping tile. This has by far been one of my most interesting projects. Todd (the director of Back2Back) has taught us how to install plumbing, clean it, glue it, cut it, use a jackhammer, knock out old toilets, and all the other fun stuff we have to do when installing plumbing. Needless to say, my dad would be so proud of me. I am not a pro but at least i kinda know what i am doing now, which is super cool. The bathroom is coming along and i can't wait to see the finished project.





CART- this week has been very busy. There was a group of 13 here this past week. Their leaders were with another organization called CARING ACTION FOR CHILDREN and they were around 77 years old, wife and husband. They also had an 85 year old women in their group. Let me tell you something about this group..... i have NEVER seen so many people determined to serve our children here in Mexico. They seriously were working the entire time. They got Del Norte's gym ready for the dedication. Tor and May (the leaders) have been involved with Martha and Del Norte for a really long time now. So they got to be apart of the dedication, they got to hang out with Martha, they got to go sight seeing in Monterrey, they got to play on top of a mountain with children.. and i was just along for the ride. the more i got to know each and every one of these group members the more i was shocked and awed by their lives and the legacy they are leaving behind. one man, VIRGIL, said he was in the airforce for 20 years, then gave the post office 20 years, and NOW he is giving the Lord 20 years. He said he has 4 more years to go. He is 78. I am telling you these people were simply here serving the Lord and it was burning within their hearts to give. They were ALL such a blessing to me on this trip. some of the women taught me how to sew on a sewing machine and how to crochet. It was so fun and it was exciting that i learned something new. They trusted me in making 2 curtains for Casa Hogar Del Norte and i loved every second of it.
More importantly, i learned that no matter what your age, you still can serve the Lord. You can still be going on mission trips at the age of 85. You can still be teaching young girls things they don't know. AGE ISN'T AN ISSUE. So there is no excuse. My heart was so filled up by these people and this CART group. It was an honor to serve alongside them. Thank you CART for the many blessings and teachings you gave me this past week.


i am NOT pretending here. My Momo (grandma) would have been so proud. MOM YOU TOO. i learned how to thread the machine and everything.














this is my crochet teacher. She was way more patient than i was. there were many times i wanted to throw the needle down but she would let me. she was wonderful.

4 comments:

Bert Giles said...

Crocheting, huh? Now you will have something to in the bathroom (besides reading) once you have it fixed. Nice variety in your blog this time - I'm impressed!! I hope I am still doing mission trips/outreach work if I make it to 75 - that's pretty awesome!

SheriYates said...

Girl - you are getting all the skills you will ever need - I love this!

Do you guys have a historian every where you go?

SheriYates said...

ps - check out the Renew me song on my blog and Marcy's song - New Name - WOW!

SheriYates said...

Ps - I still know that I owe you ID stuff - check out the ID stuff I put on my blog - the women asked for those slides - even though I thought the handout was better - i will send it all and you decide what to do with it.

OK - so Craig and Amy are doing little (1 gift) Christmas and giving the $ saved to others.

So, we talked to our kids about that - and received a big o - flat no. :) what to do?

Am I still holding the record on blog comments?