Friday, September 16, 2011

Paloma's 15th Birthday


Paloma is from Casa Hogar Manantial de Amor (The Spring of Love). I have a special bond with the girls that live there. I sometimes take them different place or go hang out with them and we have so much fun. Paloma LOVES to dance. For her Quincenera she asked me to choreograph a dance for her and 2 friends. I was SO SAD in knowing that i had NO time whatsoever because we had 5 groups here that week and the week to follow! It was in the heat of summer. I seriously felt aweful. But when i told her i couldn't she was totally wonderful about it. She told me as long as i was there, she didn't care. Well, to my surprise, her and her friends choreographed their own dance and performed it the day of her Quincenera. These Quinceneras are a BIG deal for the Mexican Culture. It is the moment the young girl becomes a woman. Makes a promise to God to stay pure and it is basically like a wedding ceremony but her groom is the Lord. They have Padrinos ( people who are important to her) for the pillow she kneels on, her ring ( promise/purity ring) , a watch ( a time for every season), and people who help pay for the event to happen. She kindly asked me to be the Madrina of her ring. I was so blessed that she could have picked anyone, but she chose me.

It was a beautiful ceremony that started 2 hours after it was supposed to. ( no worries that is normal here in Mexico :) We had a group here who helped out with set up and tear down. And we all salsa danced the rest of day away!

No comments: